Monday, April 6, 2009

A Stranger Makes Contact Through Facebook

Just a few minutes ago, I got an anomalous message to my facebook account. It came from one Simon Solomon Faust (a pseudonym? Naww) and the subject line was 'Can You Recommend a Good Trepanist?' The body of the message ran as follows:

I just want to get these spirits out of my head. I am also curious as to how your own transcendence of the human condition is proceeding. Gotten any good implants lately?
I was about to reply to the effect of 'Who are you, who or what led you to me and why?' when my eye caught the following notice underneath the reply box:

If you send Simon Solomon Faust a message, you will give him permission to view your list of friends, as well as your Basic, Work and Education info for one month.
No doubt this has been the case for a while but for some reason ... my hackles rose a bit and I didn't reply.

But since he'd already messaged me I could see his information and so:

Sex: Male
Birthday: May 27, 1962
Hometown: Centralia, PA
Relationship Status: It's Complicated
Looking For: Networking
Political Views: Theocratic
Religious Views: Gnostic
Employer: The Foundation
Position: Consensual Reality Maintenance engineer
Description: security through obscurity
Clicking through to find out what, precisely, The Foundation is I found that half of the other people in that network are Japanese.

I'm not at all sure what to make of this....

Update

Talking this over with a friend of mine I found that she'd come to the conclusion - quite independently - that this character found me through this blog.

And his MySpace page is public. The blog is ... interesting, quite a bit on an obscure branch of gnosticism relating to Mephistopeheles (ahhhh, the reference to Herr Doktor Faustus starts to make sense....) He is also, apparently, the Right Reverend Most High Minister of the Gnostic Church of the True Light.

So, my good doctor, if you did find me through these pages then I shall assume you will read this and let me commend you on your detective work on finding my true name (it's not a secret, just not obvious) but let me add that I'm still not exactly ... convinced about you if you take my meaning which you no doubt do. So, consider this my reply and you are of course welcome to reply in any fashion you so choose.

3 comments:

methodical said...

Thanks for this. I got a friend rec. on this and hesitated, even though it came from a relative.

Anonymous said...

The Doctor commends the excellent detective work, Mr. shultz, as well as your not entirely unfounded paranoia. The Foundation for a Secure Future doesn't exist anywhere in the sphere of public consciousness, and even believing in it can be grounds for "termination" as we used to say. Hence the "security trhough obsurity" reference. Of course your blog is well known in certain circles. All I'm saying is that now that you know, and knowing what I do know about what you know, I'd be happy to count you among my friends.

psychegram said...

Hey Dok ;)

Let's not fool anyone ... my detective work was second-rate at best. In the moment I unmasked you I called out the wrong name, and thus the mystery became a farce. Which I'm fine with; I love comedy, even if I sometimes play the clown.

You picked an excellent way to reintroduce yourself, my friend.